Wednesday, March 4, 2009

From the ski slopes to the rock face

I can definitely say this past week have been very busy.

Chris and I headed up to Winter Park ski resort on Saturday. Chris had a Wells Fargo event which he needed to attend, which meant, while he was working, I got to go skiing.
Perfect Day for Skiing

After sorting out my new boots, and having them adjusted, I was keen to see if my feet would like the boots better this time round. After heading off on the ski-lifts on my own, I could not help but marvel at the amazing geography around me. The ski was a deep blue, with the sun shining, you would be forgiven to think it was a nice warm day. On the contrary, as we arrived at Winter Park, the temps reached -2 F, which equates to......wait for it, -20 C.

Yes I look ridiculous, but the -20F really gets to you.

The Gondola up to Winter Park VillageBut what better place to be, than high up in the Rocky Mountains, everything white with snow, ready for some good skiing.
The ski-race slope
Hows this weather???

After a few runs, I headed in for some lunch, and to see if Chris was done yet.

The event was supporting disabled sports, and I could not believe the number of disabled men and woman, sitting on a single ski, knees together, skiing faster than I ever will. There was also a blind lady, being led down the ski trail by her husband, Amazing what willpower can do.

After a hard day of skiing, Chris also managed to get some runs in, we were both exhausted and headed home. After all, it was just Saturday, and I had a big Sunday ahead of me.

Sunday Chris had to leave on a business trip, and Mel and Jenni invited me to rock climbing with them again, this time in Golden.

Heading out,the weather was chilly, but the hike up the mountain to the rock face soon changed that. This altitude issue is no joke, at some points I could have sworn I was climbing Everest, moving slowly, trying to get air. Anyway, soon we were at the top, and ready to conquer the rock face, which looked rather intimidating to me.
Mel and Jen, hiking up the mountain
Are we ever going to get to the top?Finally, the rock face we are about to tackle, yikes!

Mel and Jen set up the equipment, and brave Mel "lead" the first climb, which means that without any rope holding her should she fall, she climbed up the rock wall, to put the rope in place for Jen and I. She did so well, and soon she made it to the top, secured the rope in place, so it was now safe for the rest of us to climb....with support.
The equipment

Mel leading the first climb, note no rope above her!

Jen went next, and made it look easy. This as my second time climbing, but the rock was smoother than the lst time, and soon found my way to the top.
Me taking on the rock wall
Finally, the top


After some lunch, we found a new place to climb, and we all made it up that one too. I loved being outdoors, being able to see the mountains, breathing the THIN fresh air, and let's not forget to mention all the hotties climbing without their shirts on (sorry Chris). Single girls in CO, Rock Climbing is definitely a hot spot to find good looking guys.


MelJen

Anyway, moving on..... I was exhausted when I got home, and literally crashed by 8pm. What a good workout as well, I discovered muscles which I thought had abandoned me.

Thanks Mel and Jen, it was great!

No comments: