Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Our first hike and last skiing of the season

You just have to love Colorado!

There is always something to do and look forward to, whether it's winter, spring,summer or fall.
The weather has been unseasonably warm the past few weeks.
Chris and I decided to take advantage of the stunning weather, and headed out to Evergreen for a hike. It was so amazing to be out in the forest, birds chirping, rivers trickling as the snow melts. Even the sign board warning you of bears and mountain lions could not deter my happy mood ....

We decided to take one route, and then got a little lost and started navigating our way to the top on our own. Eventually we reached the trial end at the top, which had the most amazing views. After resting and having a snack it was time to head back down. I am really looking forward to many more hikes, as well as attempting a few 14'ners. These are mountain peaks in Colorado which peak at 14,000 feet and above. Some are doable in a day, the others require a night's stop in a tent.

Yeah, made it to the top

The amazing scenery


With the snow melt happening much faster than normal, there are not many good skiing days left. Most ski lodges close mid April, which means that I will miss the last few weeks of skiing as I will be in South Africa for 3 weeks.

We decided to do a last ski trip up to Breck, well for me anyway. Mel and Jen came with us and we met Art and Melissa there. We had such a great time. The weather was perfect! Blue,blue sky's, sunny and actually damn hot. After lunch out on the deck chairs, in the sun, we decided to tackle a blue slope which we had not done before. My gosh! I'm sure they incorrectly signed the slope, should have been black. After much stressing and thank goodness no falls, we reached mid-point where it became much better.

Sunshine and snow - what more do you want!

Me, Jen and Mel
B and I

Art and Melissa
Art and Chris

Chris Jen and MelAhhh, those damn ski boots, killer on the feet.

It was a great day, and Mel and Jen gave me this amazing camping book for Colorado, which I'm really looking forward to in summer.

So much to do, so little time.

No comments: