Saturday, January 10, 2009

Mexico - Sun, Sea and Martguerita's

4 days after my folks arrived, I packed everyone up again and off we jetted to Mexico. This was my first trip to Mexico, and I was not sure to expect. I had heard both good and bad views, but being the avid traveller that I am, I was keen to see for myself.



What a wonderful surprise it was. I was half expecting rural culture, poor roads and so-so service. Everything ran smoothly, from start to finish. After catching a flight at 6am from Denver to Phoenix, and then connecting for our last leg to Cancun, we were all a little tired. Our shuttle was waiting for us when we arrived, and transferred us to the Grand Mayan on the Riviera Maya cost-line, about 30 minutes from Cancun. The roads were brilliant and the traffic not too crazy.I never expected to see what I did when we drive into the entrance of our hotel, The Grand Mayan.


The view from our apartment

One of the many pool areas


The Beach at the Grand Maya

AMAZING, STUNNING, OUT OF THIS WORLD. Had I died and gone to heaven?



The resort was well layed out on an amazing golf course. Birds, trees and plants all of the place, with a river flowing through the course. Our apartment had 2 rooms, a kitchen, lounge with a balcony, complete with a splash pool on the patio and a Jacuzzi in each room.

The pool area and beach were absolute luxury with white beds and covered lounge areas as well as deck chairs. Pubs in the pool and happy hour made sure that you were not short on the Martguerita's.



The resort had approx 5 restaurants to choose from, all various types and themes.

Playa del Carmen - 20 minutes away, was a interesting a lively little village. We shopped for our groceries and local Mexican goods, while also enjoying the local beach life and cocktails on the beach.

Cris got to spend his birthday in Mexico, and we spent the day on the beach, sipping pina-coladis and Marguerite's, and we enjoyed a Mexican festival dinner. Not a bad way to spend you birthday.



Christmas day was rather quiet, just another day at the beach, with the odd person saying "Velis Na Vida" Merry Christmas.

Ahhh, this is the life!
My Mom achieved one of her life long dreams and went swimming with the dolphins. She loved it and just wished she could spend more time with the dolphins.





My Dad living the life

Just as we started enjoying our time there, it was time to come home, and our Mexican vacation had come to an end. I know that Chris and I will definitely be back.

No comments: