Saturday, January 10, 2009

Fresh Powder and the joys of skiing

It's the new year and Chris and I are adamant to get as much skiing done as we can.

The alarm went off at 5:00am, and at 5:30am we were on the road, on the way to Breckenridge (or Breckenfridge as the locals call it). The drive started off dry and cold, but soon we were driving in heavy snow as we hit the mountain passes.
Icy snowy roads to Breck

It snowed all the way to Breckenridge, but Chris and I were early, so did not battle to find parking near the gondola. We went up to peak 8, where most of the cool green slopes are located, and waited in the warmth of the restaurant overlooking the slopes until they opened.

The Gondolo Lift station
Soon we were all ready to go, ski's on, goggles and mask set, we hit the slopes. The snow continued to fall and provided the perfect skiing conditions. Chris and I were among the first to come down the slopes, loving the fresh powder.

All wrapped up - you need it in these conditions
Doing it like a pro
Cris and I did so well, considering this was our second time skiing. We both cruised down the slopes, Chris acting like a pro. I was very proud of myself, managing to not fall at all, the whole morning. Chris and I did 6 runs and then when our legs started wobbling, we decided to call it a day and head back home.
When we got back down the mountain, my car was snowed in, over, snow just everywhere. We had to do some snow shovelling to be able to get back on the road.
On our way home after a hard run

My snow covered car


I had to laugh at some of the cars totally covered and unrecognisable, with all the snow.

Snowed In???

Lake Dillon - All iced up

What a fantastic day! What's great is that we are so close that we can get to Breck, spend the whole morning skiing hard, and then be back in Denver by the afternoon, to enjoy a great diner out downtown.

This is life, I know that I'm making a few people green by now, but what can I say..... I'm living the life! (-:

1 comment:

Hayley said...

Wow Lesleigh, it sounds like you are having an awesoem time over there?