Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Mojitos, Tequilas and Marguerites

Scottsdale, Phoenix – Arizona

Mojitos, Tequilas and Marguerites are the order of the day in Phoenix.

We arrived in very HOT conditions, but I guess that’s to be expected in the middle of the desert. We stayed in Scottsdale, near the Old Town of Scottsdale. Boy, does this place have a vibe!
What amused me most of all are all the cacti, massive ones all over the place. You start seeing these amazing plants about 45 minutes from Phoenix. Now you know you are nearing Mexico!
The longer we stayed, the more surprised I was at the new and lavish shopping centers, homes and especially the happening night life.
Temp’s reached 104’F (40’C) during the day, but it’s a dry heat and somehow you manage. Everything has A/C (aircon) and later in the evening, the temps still remained in the mid 90’s – HOT!

The view on-route to Phoenix


Another "small" Cactus

Chris and I had dinner at a sweet little Mexican spot with viby music and lovely people on Friday, and then spent Saturday checking out the neighborhoods. We met up with my friend Tim, his fiancé Candice and his friend Todd for dinner on Sat. He lives in a lovely place, surrounded by Desert Mountains, sand and more cacti. Even the coyotes and bobcats are local’s to the area.
One of the High-Rise buildings in downtown Phoenix

A new home with the latest style architecture

Sunday evening we went along to a local favorite Sunday Spot, the McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park. Here they have live concerts in the Park, railroad museum and an actual train for the kids to ride on. People take their blankets, pic-nic baskets and enjoy the warm summer evening under the starts listening to the band. Awesome!!


At the concert in the park, lots of fun!







I never imagined living in the desert, I’ve been through Namibia and living I Windhoek never really appealed to me. But I must say Phoenix has a different vibe, esp. Scottsdale, and everything seems to be new, Housing, shops, shops and more shops, and the architecture is really great, very modern and fits right in with the desert, it even has a “Van Buren” road….and did I mention stunning sunsets. I had to look twice to make sure, Yup, it's good old "Van Buren" Rd

A typical shopping centre in north Scottsdale

My personal petrol (Gas) -attendant (-:


So, that’s my short précis version on Phoenix, next – San Diego, mmmmm


No comments: