Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Summer Time in Colorado

HOT, HOT HOT!!! This seems to be the norm lately with temp's running in the mid to upper 90 degree F. (Upper 30 degree C's). Here's a clip from the Denver post on breaking the last record of 90 degree temps:
"The National Weather Service has reported a temperature of 91 degrees in Denver as of 2:55 p.m. today, moving us one day closer to smashing a heat wave record that dates to the 19th century. In 1874 and again in 1901, Denver braved 18 consecutive days in which temperatures reached or surpassed 90 degrees".

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_10021666


There is so much to do in Colorado in the summer, it's sometimes difficult to fit everything in.
With extra time on my hands before I start working, we have managed to see so much over the past few weeks.

Boulder is a student town, very similar to Stellenbosch in a way. Very quaint, and relaxed, lots of cafes, shops and interesting things happening. Chris and I strolled through this chilled little place, seeing all the students milling around, watching a concert in the square. Very cool.

Quaint Streets of Boulder

One thing I really miss is the bush and the wildlife that we have back in SA. As most of you know, every spare minute I had, we would escape to the bush and do some game watching.
well, the best I have here is the Denver Zoo. So off we went for a day at the zoo. It was wonderful, they have a big variety of game, and it takes you quite a while to get round to seeing everything. I was a little upset to see a single meerkat in a cage, as they are social animals and need to company. I was also annoyed to see the leopard in a tiny cage behind glass. Such a majestic animal, who needs trees and space should NOT be in such a small enclosure! We wrote to the Zoo and gave them out feedback, and to my surprise they wrote back and told us about their expansion plans. I am considering working as a volunteer at the zoo, at least I get to be near my animals. The Wild, Wild West

The highlight of my week was going to the Cheyenne Frontier days Rodeo, in Wyoming. Chris, Melissa and I headed of to Wyoming early on Saturday morning, to attend the biggest Rodeo in the World, called "The daddy of em all".
This is Cowboy country and boy, did I see some cute cowboys (Sorry Chris, but you saw some cute Cowgirls as well).

There were different events, bull riding, Bronco Riding, Lassoing of Cows etc...
These guys are crazy, and how half of them manage to stay alive is a miracle in itself. the Bull Riding was very exciting, and saw some close shaves. What we also really enjoyed was seeing the Cowboys ride along side a young calf, jump down from the horse and tackle the calf to the ground, and then tie it up, all in a record time of 6 seconds. Wow.Melissa and I - checking out all the interesting goodies on sale

They also had all sorts of food, corndogs (which I have yet to try), hotdogs and Turkey legs. Chris attempted to eat one, I thought it looked more like a Ostrich leg than a turkey leg, it was massive!
The Big Turkey Leg

I had to of course but myself a cowgirl hat (reliving my dream of being a cowgirl when I was a kid). Now I just need a cute pair of cowgirl boots and I'm ready to strut my stuff!! All good fun!!
My New Cowgirl Hat

The next day Chris played golf at the No. 1 Mountain Golf Course in the States, The Raven. I spent the morning shopping and having lunch with Melissa. Afterwards, I met up with the girls and wives of the guys Chris was playing golf with. We went to a concert in the park near Cherry Creek and had a pic-nic. I must say that everyone here is so friendly and that has really helped us get settled and feel at home.

Lastly, my parents have booked their tickets to come and spend Christmas here with us. We have also booked a week in Mexico which is going to be fab, so we will at least see some hot sunny weather amidst the snow and chilly Colorado winter. Best of both worlds! Yay!

1 comment:

Hayley said...

Hey Lesleigh, sounds like you guys are still having an awesome time. And wanted to let you know that I am still checking in to see how you are both doing.
Love
Hayley