Sunday, May 11, 2008

USA Update

Well, it's been 10 days since we landed on the Shores of the USA, and what a hectic but amazing time we have had.

Me in the yellow cab into Manhattan


We landed at JFK in the "Big Apple" on the 2nd May, on a very cold and misty morning, only 5 degrees c. I was a little anxious of what we were going to face to get our Green Cards officially stamped and prepared myself for a true US Interrogation, however, it did not happen like that at all. After going through customs and giving them our "Sealed Envelope" issued by the US embassy in JHB, we were asked to proceed to another customs desk, were this lady asked my to sign a form, took my finger prints, stamped my passport and then casually said "Welcome to the United States", and sent me on my was as a USA Resident. Still seems surreal.



Chris and I then discovered that my bag had arrived with the flight but his was no where to be seen. After filing a report, we jumped in a taxi to Manhattan, to our Hotel, St James (thanks Toni and John for the recommendation). This small little hotel is based one block away from Times Square, and wow, what seemed to be Millions of people!

Chris and I did the touristy thing and walked our feet off every day. The weather was crappy and misty and we could not see the tops of the Empire State or Chrysler building, but we took a long lovely walk through Central Park, passing Trump Towers etc. The next day we took a Ferry ride to Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, and then went to see the amazing site of where the Twin Towers stood, eeerrrryy!!
Central Park, NYC



Grand Central Station



On Liberty Island, with the NY Skyline behind me.



A romantic carriage ride through Central Park

Chris and I then caught the subway (man is the NY subway confusing, give me the London underground anyday) to Brooklyn to see Torsten, Katja and little Noah. It was awesome to see them again and caught up on all the news over a late lunch.



Still no word of Chris's bags!!!



The last 2 days were spent seeing the rest of the NY sights and sounds, lazing about in Bryant Park with the rest of the Manhattan suites over lunch.
The Chrysler Building - HUGE!!!


and... still no bags for Chris.

No comments: