Sunday, May 11, 2008

Denver - Colorado

Our flight from New York to Denver took 4 hours, hard to believe you are still travelling within the USA after such a lenghty flight.
Denver Airport is amazing and big and clean. We arrived at night so we could not see the Rocky Mountain until the next morning.
We were collected in the morning by my Dad's good friends, Fred and Lorraine. The live in Evergreen, but I never imagined how stunning this place could be until I saw it with my own eyes. Driving from Denver into the mountains, we started to see trees, passed some Buffalo and elk, which is right on their doorstep.

Chris's bag also finally arrived which SAA Fed-Exed directly to Denver for us, Finally!!




Fred and Lorraine's place seems like something from a fairytale novel. It has the most spectacular views and wildlife, fox, deer, squirrels, the odd bear (seen the overturned dustbins), and the babbling brook at the base of the hill.











Lorraine has given us her car , a red Pontiac, to get around, it takes some getting used to, driving on the wrong side of the road, but I seem to get the grip of it better than Chris, old habits dye hard I guess.

We new things would not be easy, but that an understatement after this week. Firstly, you can not do anything without a Social Security Card. Luckily we applied for our in NY already. You need this to open a bank acc, book your drivers licence (yes, I need to re-write a leaner's and do a driving test, 18 all over again). Yet, you can not buy anything without a credit history, a car, a house etc. So we are having fun and games getting all this sorted out. I have found a car that I like, Toyota RAV4, new model. You need a 4x4 in the Colorado terrain, especially when the snow season starts.

Reagan, Fred and Lorraine's nephew has been showing us around, cars, houses and downtown Denver for a few drinks. Downtown Denver is stunning with clean streets, lots of bars and restaurants and horse drawn carriages. Such a wonderful energy to this place.

Chris and I are loving the new experiences, seeing all the sights of Denver, Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Arapaho National Park, Little towns in the mountains etc. We are now planning our trip across the West coast and I will tell you more when we have our final itinerary.

I will write more often now, so keep checking for my latest update on our adventures.

Love you all at home, miss you guys!

2 comments:

Going Bygone said...

and i bet you thought no one would ever see your blog. Welcome to the states.

All about the Woollams said...

While reading your blog I was a little sad, little jealous and TOTALLY excited! I knew you would love Colorado.

You guys are living the dream!

See you soon and love you tooooo much!