Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Yeehaaa...It's Rodeo time again

You just have to love Summer in Colorado!
There is always so much to do and see and everyone is out and about enjoying the hot weather.
Friday night Chris and I had dinner with Brian and Robin. It was a great evening, with a little too much wine, as usual, but it was great to catch up.
I was really excited about Saturday. It's the Cheyenne "Daddy of em All" Rodeo again in Wyoming. Chris and I left early on Saturday morning, left our car at Iwan and Liezl's place in Erie and all drove through to Wyoming. I just love the vibe of the place. Cowboys, Cowgirls, Wrangler Jeans and Cowboy boots, Bulls, Horses, it's really the wild West.
We grabbed a bite to eat, just after Liezl bought her first Cowboy or should I say, Cowgirl hat.



Chris had his legendary Turkey leg, and the rest of us followed suite. We also tried the famous "funnel cake" which was great.

Liezl digging into her Turkey Leg

The famous "funnel cake"
My hubby and me

Blurry but a fun photo.

All fed and beers in hand, we found our seats and watched the start of the Rodeo. It was all going well, when in the Steer wrestling section, a cowboy dived from his horse to wrestle a steer to the ground, and we think he broke it's neck. By mistake. It was sad to see how they got a cart into the arena and loaded the poor thing onto it.

The Rodeo continued and I was in awe of the cowboys bull riding skill, how those guys survive is beyond me. The Rodeo kick-off
The crazy cowboys getting ready fothe wild horse race

This is one of my favourite photo's



After the Rodeo, we wondered around the fair. I could have sworn for a second I was on the set of Grease, with John Travolta and Olivia Newton John, at the fun-fair scene.

Yoyo in front of the "Yoyo" ride

Chris and I tried our hand at target shooting, but did not win anything.

Dancing at the "Bucking A Saloon"


It was hot and late in the day. so we decided to head back to Colorado, for a bite to eat. We settled on having dinner at a stunning golf course near Iwan and Liezl's place. There is nothing better than a good wine, good food and great company with great mountain views as the sun sets. Chilling in the late afternoon sun

What a sunset over the Rocky's


The Colorado Golf Course

Thanks guys for a great day.


Sunday Chris did some heavy duty yard work, with little me lending a hand here and there. I do believe it's Murphy's law how these things happen. With the yard looking so lovely and kept, we had the biggest storm I have ever experienced last night.

The wind came up from no where, and before you knew it, Hail and Rain were beating against the windows, from every direction. The massive pine trees and other old trees were blowing like they were little twigs in the wind. Eventually, I got a little scared that the windows would break, so we headed downstairs. The news had just issued a Tornado warning for our town, Littleton, and then the sirens started going off. Chris and I were about to head down into the basement when the hail let up. It was very scary and not something I would like to experience soon again.
This morning I started assessing the damage. We were lucky and the only major damage was the patio shade blind and all of my flowers, my beautiful roses and lavender look like a goat attacked them. And tons of leaves.

Poor Cassie and Todd across the road, looked like a bull dozer went through their front garden and Scott and Christina's car managed to miss the fallen tree by inches.


Hail which looks like snow with pieces of my patio shade

The patio shade ripped to pieces

My poor flowers and lavender destroyed

Leaves, leaves everywhere, some even stuck on the side of the house

The clean up crew (me) got to work trying to clean up some of the mess, but it may take a few days.
Goes to show, mother nature can be brutal. Just another day in unpredictable Colorado.

1 comment:

All about the Woollams said...

Hey Leigh, I love the photos, love the update and feel totally jealous that I don't get to go to crazy American rodeos and fairs like the ones you guys go to!
It was so nice to chat to you the other day ... we should set a weekly date so I never loose touch!
Love you lots!!!!